The Vanity of Pleasure-Seeking
Passage: Ecclesiastes 2:1-11, Ecclesiastes 4:6-9, Ecclesiastes 6:1-7
I. THE EXPERIMENT
II. THE FAILURE
Our desires are not too strong but too weak.
III. THE HYPOTHESIS
God is the Giver of both pleasures and the power to enjoy them.
- If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be?
- Striving or quietness - which is more true of your life?
- C.S. Lewis said, all our havings are wantings. All joys are incomplete. Can you give an example of where you feel this in your life?
- G.K. Chesterton famously said, "Every man who walks into a brothel is looking for God." What did he mean?
- How do we get joy in God? What about the Person and Work of Jesus Christ makes this possible? Problem-solve this area of your life with the gospel.