God, the Redeemer
October 3, 2021 Speaker: Drew Bennett Series: Isaiah: Comforting the Disturbed | Disturbing the Comfortable
Passage: Isaiah 41:17-20, Isaiah 43:1-7
I. THROUGH (NOT AROUND) FLOOD & FIRE
“In suffering we ask, 'Why?' ... and the answer is rarely, 'Because.' Rather, God's answer is, 'Here I am!'" – T.C. Ham
II. GOD, THE REDEEMER
“The principal idea (of redemption) is that of cost to God.” - Fleming Rutledge
- Are you surprised when life gets hard? Are more more naive or more cynical about suffering?
- What flood or fire are you going through? How high have the waters risen?
- Do you sense that God is with you in the midst of your suffering? If so, can you try to explain how you sense his presence? If not, can you express the pain of feeling alone?
- What "hard thoughts" about God are you most tempted to, especially when life gets hard?
- What is the one thing you learned about God in the sermon this morning that helps you fight against your unbelief? Asking this another way, what part of your theology (if you could really believe it) would most help your psychology?