Pleasing God With Faith
Passage: Hebrews 11:5-6
I. MISSION IMPOSSIBLE
How is our default strategy of pleasing God solely on the basis of our works an impossible mission?
II. YOU GOTTA HAVE FAITH
What is faith? What does it look like lived out?
When we know that God is pleased with us in Christ, we’re set free from peoplepleasing and free to walk with Him.
- Trying to please God solely on the basis of what we do is an impossible mission (Ex: Matt.7:21-23; Luke 15). Is this surprising?
- Stand up and do trust falls with one another right now to illustrate what faith looks like (Just kidding).
- Anne Lamott said, “The opposite of faith is not doubt, but certainty.” Discuss. In what areas of your life are idols of control keeping you from obeying & following God in faith? What would it look like to “roll that weight” off of yourself and onto Him?
- The phrase “pleased God” can also be translated as “walked with God.” That really simplifies what a life of faith looks like. What do you think it looks like to “walk with God” daily?
- Trains, Jesus, and Murder: The Gospel According to Johnny Cash, Richard Beck
- On the Road With Saint Augustine: A Real World Spirituality for Restless Hearts, James K.A. Smith
- “Faith in Three Dimensions” Sermon, Dr. Sinclair B. Ferguson