Passage: Psalm 122:1-9
Introduction: The Psalms of Ascent 1) situate us in the right story; and 2) order our lives with spiritual practices.
We live in the Between.
"Psalm 122 is the song of a person who decides to go to church." - Eugene Peterson
III. THE MEDIATOR
Jesus is the meeting place between God and man.
The Myth of Sisyphus, Albert Camus
Weight of Glory, C.S. Lewis
A Long Obedience in the Same Direction, Eugene Peterson
On the Road with St. Augustine, James K.A. Smith
Longing for Home, J. Stephen Yuille
“There is love on the road when we stop loving the road. There are myriad gifts along the way when we remember it is a way. There is delight in the sojourn when we know where home is.” - James K.A. Smith
- We are sojourners. We're not home yet. Where do you feel the sting of that?
- Is corporate worship a priority for you? What kinds of things interfere with your attendance in worship?
- Do you have a people to sojourn with? What commitments/priorities are keeping you from developing deep relationships with others?
- Are you a peace-maker or a trouble-maker? "Blessed are the peacemakers" (Matthew 5:9).
- What changes could you make to more faithfully participate in the church's worship and work? (The 4th Membership Vow!)