The Disciplined Life
Passage: Psalm 23:1-6
Introduction - All love is tough love.
I. Tough Love
What are God’s rod and staff?
II. Tender Hearts
What are the wrong responses to God’s Fatherly discipline? What is the right response?
- Do discipline and love go together? Do you agree?
- What are God’s rod and staff? The Bible talks about the “discipline” of the LORD. How would you describe God’s discipline?
- Hebrews 12 cautions about three wrong responses to God’s discipline: despising, fainting, and becoming bitter. Have a discussion about each. Which of these wrong responses are you most prone towards?
- David says that God’s rod is a comfort to him. How do you think you get there? (Questions 5-6 help to answer this question)
- Where does God’s discipline come from? Does it come from his love? How does the gospel assure you that you are being love, not punished, in times of discipline?
- We talked about suffering being God’s “gymnasium.” How does that metaphor help you endure the hard times God leads you through?